Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member kilohertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2011
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Hi guys,

    First post here. I have been reading the forum off and on for a few years and am finally getting ready to build (rebuild) my Barcelonas into a reasonable sized box. I am planning on building the 9846-8A as the components are identical. I don't have room for the Barcelonas, the cabs are way to big for my small living room, and I have decided the studio monitor version will be the right choice. I have searched high and low for drawings for these but can't find them. Outside dimensions I can see but there is the woofer step, and the distance between drivers etc.

    Does anyone out there have plans you could email me or post here for everyone?

    RonSSS, how did your 9846A's turn out? I found your post from 2008 when you bought a "bad" pair.

    Thanks guys!

    Cheers

    Paul

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Hey
    I never did more than take them apart and prep for paint.
    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    If you cannot get the 9846-8A plans, use the dimensions in the first link to re-scale the plan detailed in the second link.

    9846-8A

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page22.jpg
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member kilohertz's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2011
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    Hey
    I never did more than take them apart and prep for paint.
    Ron
    Good gravy man! You work at at the same speed as I do. I have had these for 2 years now, need to put new surrounds on the woofers, but otherwise everything is ready to go. My son and I got the wood stove into the shop today and the holes lined up for the chimney. Will hopefully get it all finished tomorrow...then I will get the 12" table saw in there and I can start work....once I know what to cut.

    Altec Best and mah, thanks for the links...yes, I have all those drawings and if I really sat down and focused, could probably come up with what the real dimensions are, but there is the spacing between drivers and the step for the woofer mount, which I found is 3.25", but is that from the outside of the front baffle, or from the inside of the 3/4" baffle, already in place?

    So Ron, why don't we work on these together? Are you in a position to work on them this winter? I dug out the crossovers and EQ networks this afternoon and am going to order the foams this coming week.

    Thanks for all the help guys!

    Cheers

    Paul
    Last edited by kilohertz; November 5th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    This cab has almost the same front panel size as the 9846-8A and drawing shows the set back horn mount in some detail:

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ure/page10.jpg

    Positioning of the drivers is similar to the 9846-8A. You can adjust the depth dimension to get the same volume as the 9846-8A and you will get pretty much the same as requested or you can scale it to exact 9846-8A dimensions.
    Last edited by mah; November 3rd, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    9846-8A looking for enclosure plans   Help Please


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Don't have the 9846 here but it may help you a bit.Here are some dimensions on this spec sheet.Also I posted this thread awhile back on Altec enclosure plans on pdf.The 9846 isn't here but it may help you anyway.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-8a/page04.jpg

    Scroll to post #38 for the links to the pdf's.

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...plans-pdf.html
    Last edited by Altec Best; November 3rd, 2013 at 01:39 PM.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    9846-8A looking for enclosure plans   Help Please


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Yes I think that step out was just a way to add more volume to the cabinet.. The link that Marshall posted shows it pretty well.The illustration on the right.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Yes I think that step out was just a way to add more volume to the cabinet.. The link that Marshall posted shows it pretty well.The illustration on the right.
    But, it also adds considerable strength to the baffle, particularly between the horn and woofer, and may also more ideally align the acoustic centers of the woofer and horn.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Hello Gang, Long time no see. Hope all is well.
    Paul (kilohertz), e-mailed me to get me active again.
    I have plans around here somewhere and will find them.

    Altec Best, Paul said he cannot log in anymore. Can you check his account. Its locked up for some reason.

    Good to see you all, Art

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    9846-8A looking for enclosure plans   Help Please


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 9846-8A looking for enclosure plans Help Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Art J. View Post

    Altec Best, Paul said he cannot log in anymore. Can you check his account. Its locked up for some reason.

    Good to see you all, Art
    Yes will look into it Art. It looks like he only has 2 posts here may have to do with being a new member.
    Last edited by Altec Best; November 3rd, 2013 at 11:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.